Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Home

Sector B - Porticato semicircolare storico

mappa settere B

This sector corresponds to the first enlargement of the cemetery beyond its original core – the quadrilateral – which has soon revealed itself inadequate, compared to the need of a rapidly growing city.

 

The architect Giovanni Battista Resasco has been charged with preparing a project to extend the cemetery; in 1868 he proposed a semicircular portico in the north-eastern part, placed against a short side of the primitive structure, and another semicircular portico should have been built against the opposite side, symmetrically.

 

This project found a partial application only during the early 1890s, with the construction of the semicircular portico in the eastern part (behind which there is a second arcade with columbaria) and of the Transversal Gallery: two monumental areas, rich in art works, where the principal style is far from the Bourgeois Realism, unlike somewhere else. When the Symbolism established itself, some feminine figures, more or less veiled, with some typical features of the Art Nouveau, like the sinuous and fluid poses, and of the Art Deco, like the stylizations, which express an sensual and mysterious idea of death.

 

Some new functions have lead to the construction of the Crematorium Temple, near the centre of the semicircular portico.

Download map Sector B

 

 

Monumenti: