Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Home

Sector D - Porticato superiore - Pantheon

mappa settore DThe upstream side of the quadrilateral, which builds the original part of the cemetery, plays a fundamental role in building the cemetery’s background: the porticoes, which are placed along an axis with the main entrance, end suddenly and leave space for a grand marble staircase, at whose top rises the Suffrages’ Chapel, which is also known as “Pantheon”, whose construction work began in 1861. It was opened to the public in 1878.

 

The Pantheon draws inspiration from a Roman model, but also from the more recent Canovian Temple of Possagno in Veneto. It has a tympanum which is supported by a hexastyle Doric pronaos, a dome-shaped roof, a circular plan and a crypt; the inside, which holds the tombs of some famous Genoese personalities, is decorated with statues, bas-reliefs, stuccoes, polychrome marbles, bronzes and gildings in a sober and refined neoclassical style.

 

Some prestigious monuments, which show the evolution of the funeral sculpture during the second half of the 19th century, are lined up in both side symmetrical porticoes: from the sober neoclassical allegories to the original analytical and everyday representations, which are typical of the bourgeois Realism, and the more disquieting and ambiguous symbolist representations, which are typical of the end of the 19th century.

Behind the Pantheon there is another monumental gallery.
 

 

Download map sector d 

Monumenti: 
grave
Clicca per ingrandire l'immagine
grave
Clicca per ingrandire l'immagine
grave
Clicca per ingrandire l'immagine
grave
Clicca per ingrandire l'immagine
grave
Clicca per ingrandire l'immagine
grave
Clicca per ingrandire l'immagine
grave
Clicca per ingrandire l'immagine