Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Testo Alternativo
Home

Sector F - Area policonfessionale - Testero

mappa del settore FTowards the end of the 19th century it became necessary to move to Staglieno some cemeteries which belonged to other confessions and which were scattered among the city, because they have come into conflict with Genoa’s great urban expansion of that time.

 

Because of the construction of the “Via Corsica”, in the 1880s were transferred in Staglieno both the Jewish cemetery and the Protestant cemetery, which were in a zone called “la Cava” (the quarry). Both of them had held mortuary chapels and the Protestant Cemetery had held also some important sculptures.
From the “Viale dei Protestanti” a long staircase leads to the English cemetery, which was made at the beginning of the 20th century, even if it has remained unfinished: it holds some tombs coming from a previous English cemetery, which was in the quarter of San Benigno. Next to the fields of the “Veilino” there’s the Greek Orthodox cemetery: it used to be as well in the same zone called “la Cava”, near the quarter of “Foce”, but then it was transferred in Staglieno in the 1880s and placed in its present location in 1935; there are also some tombs which belong to orthodox Russian, Bulgarian and Serbian people.
In the “Campo dei Cipressi” there is the Mohammedan cemetery which, beyond some Muslims’ tombs, holds about 20 tombs which belong to unknown people, perhaps suicides or condemned to death.
 

 

Download map sector F

Monumenti: